Sunday 11 November 2018

Experimental campaign... finally!

Hello everyone!

Long time no hear, as I am stuck in the lab. After casting, it is time to break some beams!

So far, I have tested three beams statically. I did it to get their resistance, which will help in calibration of my fatigue tests. One of the tested R-UHPFRC beams below, with visible huge force-redistribution steel beam on top of it.



I've got one unexpected shear failure... Which opened a whole new research branch on influence of vibrations during casting on the fibre orientation in beam! The project is ongoing.


And, when I say I BREAK the beams, I really mean it. The one below is broken for sure ;)

Thanks to its fibres, the UHPFRC is very ductile. Here, you can see a time-lapse video of the post-peak load. This means, that the beam has already reached its maximum resistance and now can be considered as damaged, but there is still a lot of capability of deflection and load support. 
Just imagine, that you can see through the beam while there is still a load of around 25 tonnes on it! (so, weight of 15 cars...) 



Stay tuned to see more pictures from another tests! Coming when I'll only find some time to upload them...






No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the year, end of the PhD

 Hello everyone, I didn't write for quite some time - and it has been a busy time. Since my last post, I have managed to:  submit the do...